QUILTS & FABRIC: PAST & PRESENT


Sunday, January 21, 2018

EPP @ AQSG


I was surprised to see how many of us at the American Quilt Study Group Seminar last fall in New Hampshire brought our paper piecing. During the three days of lectures many listeners pulled out their very portable projects.
I took some snapshots at the breaks
so I don't know whose little stashes of paper pieces
and fabrics these are.



I just found this video of how to do a "flat backstitch" method of joining
paper pieced shapes. I always face the pieces together to sew and the stitches show.
But in this method you secure them side by side with tape or a clip and stitch
from the back. No visible stitches.

Brilliant!


I tried it and it works wells.
The stitches do not show and it's
easier for me to figure out how to connect things if I don't have to
keep flipping the pieces over.



More AQSG projects

Some were small.
Some were larger.

I always have a hand work project to help me pay
attention to the speaker. 


I'm still working on this one----3/4 inch sides in William Morris repro prints.





7 comments:

  1. I just finished a section of my EPP and decided to read a few blogs. I'm chuckling as I'm reading yours this morning. EPP also goes well when watching the Australian Open Tennis Tournament.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I strongly urge you to give Inklingo a try. You print the shapes on the paper with an ordinary Inkjet printer, and use a running stitch which often you can continue from piece to piece. Canadian Linda Franz is the inventor, and most who try it never go back to paper pieces and basting!

    Watch one or to of her videos. She also has free shapes to try and affiliate programs.

    www.inklingo.com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great tip, thank you. I have been making a cathedral window quilt (it goes on holiday with me) and that would work in the same manner.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for sharing that video! I have a hexagon as well as a tumbling Blocks that I need to get back to putting them together in their individual quilts, and had become frustrated with the threads showing on the front. This will really help me get back to it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Barbara, Thank you so much for sharing my video. Happy to see the "Flat Back Stitch" has worked out for you. I've got your "Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns" on my table right now as I'm using it for inspiration on a new quilt pattern ������ Couldn't live without it!
    Karen The DIY Addict

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Barbara, Thank you so much for sharing my video. Happy to see the "Flat Back Stitch" has worked out for you. I've got your "Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns" on my table right now as I'm using it for inspiration on a new quilt pattern 😃😃😃 Couldn't live without it!
    Karen The DIY Addict

    ReplyDelete